How to write an effective blog. Blogging is an amazing tool to promote your business. Unfortunately, many bloggers spend countless hours blogging in order to gain business, increase web traffic, or to simply turn a profit. Blogging is one of the easiest and cheapest forms of online marketing, if you do it right. Simply writing a blog does not always get you where you would like to be in the virtual world. Read the following tips and trick to writing an EFFECTIVE BLOG so that your hours or days or weeks of dedication are not wasted!
How Deep Does Your Blog Content Go? 73 Resources to Help You Write Better and Create Blog Content that Blossoms Online
I have chosen these resources to help you dig into your blog deeper and create content that will expand your current skill set. Writers are constantly honing their skills and perfecting their efforts, digging deep into the bowels of their works and often their mind and souls in the process. Given that blogging is a form of writing, and both writers and journalists have been exercising the skills of their trades before blogging came to be I have taken care to comprise this list mainly of writing and journalism resources that are relevant to blogging.
Here are 36 Resources to Help You Write Better and Create Blog Content that Blossoms Online
A/B MULTI-VARIATE/SPLIT RATE TESTING
- How The Huffington Post uses real-time testing to write better headlines » Nieman Journalism- Article on A/B Testing
- Mulitvariate Testing and A/B Split Testing- who provides it?- List of service provides for A/B split testing. Yes Google is on the list.
- 44 Tips to Accuracy- Excellent tips to make sure your writing is accurate. Makes a great checklist.
- Accuracy Checklist: Detroit Free Press | Committee of Concerned Journalists- It's funny but as a blogger almost all of the eight checklists will apply to the blogger as a one (wo)man writer.
- The Journalism School- Columbia University- Event Archive- Three sessions that make sense to listen to: HuffPo's Ken Lerer's Nothing's Off the Record, Helping Writer's Write, Beat Reporting with Sig Gissler
- News University: Journalism Training. What Makes A Great Blog: Principles for Success: A Poynter/NewsU Webinar Replay- Free recorded webinar on creating a great blog.
- Online Media Law: The Basics for Bloggers and Other Online Publishers- Free online course for publishing content online.
COPYRIGHT AND CITATION
- Documenting Electronic Sources: Online Guides to Citing Electronic Sources- The OWL at Purdue-Citation and Style Guides
- U.S. Copyright office- Copyright basics.
- Copyright and Attribution- Reference list from J-Learning
FOCUS ON LOCAL
- News University. Localism Training. Build and Engage Local Audiences Online- Free E-Course- How to build and maintain a local online community.
- Targeting New Audiences: Finding Your Niche- Creating content for a specific audience.
- Headline Writing for Google, Social Media and Profit : Condomunity.com-Gigantic bullet list blog post of headline do's, why's and how to's.Gigantic bullet list blog post of headline do's, why's and how to's.
- How to Write Headlines That Work | Copyblogger- Eight types of headlines.
- Advanced Marketing Institute- Headline Analyzer- Gives you the emotional value of your headline. Very cool.
- Proofreading Your Writing - The OWL at Purdue- Easy to follow tips for proofreading.
- Wordiness, Wordiness, Wordiness List- Big list to help you declutter your blog posts.
- The Communications Network- Jargon Finder- A list to help you keep your blog jargon free.
TYPES OF WRITING
- Online Storytelling Forms - CyberJournalist.net - Online News Association - Tips and Tools- Article about the types of storytelling online.
- News University: Journalism Training. The Interview-Free E-Course on effective interviewing.
- News University: Journalism Training. Beyond the Inverted Pyramid: Creating Alternative Story- Free E-course on different methods of writing.
- How to Write a Comparative Analysis- Good thorough exercise to help you write posts that focus on comparing programs, tools, etc.
- Writer's Block/Writer's Anxiety-The OWL at Purdue- Overcoming Writer's Block
- Stuck in a Rut? The Top 5 Ways to Change Up the Ambiance and Get in the Mood To Blog- 5 ways to break your blogger's block
WRITING COMMUNITIES AND GROUPS
- Writing.com- Online community for writers and readers.
- Groups and Associations for Writers/Poe War- Groups and associations across the country for writers.
- Writing Exercises | PoeWar-Great list of writing exercises that makes sense for bloggers to do.
- Writer Resources.com- 10 Tips for Better Writing
- Get Me Rewrite- The Craft of Revision- Free E-Course on editing and revising content.
- The Lead Lab- Free E-Course on what to lead with in your content.
- Word Spy- Learn new words.
- News University: Journalism Training- The Writer's Workbench: 50 Tools You Can Use- Free E-Course to help sharpen and create good writing skills.
- Strunk,William,Jr.-1918. The Elements of Style- Writer's Style Book.
- Skrbl- Online whiteboard.
- Xmind- Mindmapping.
- WriteRoom for Google Docs- Distraction Free Writing
How Deep Does your Blog Content Go?
Rebecca D. Levinson is a real estate marketing consultant with 17 years of experience serving real estate industry professionals.